Thieves Essential Oil Blend - Antimicrobial Protection
As far as I know, all essential oils are anti-microbial. However, since they come from all different plants they also all have very different properties and therefore different healing benefits.
One story that I have heard over the years dates back to the 14th century time of the Bubonic Plague. I first heard the story from people associated with Young Living Essential Oils MLM company, and it goes like this. There was a group of 4 thieves going about stealing from the dead and dying plague sufferers. When finally captured, in order to reduce their punishment, they revealed how they were able to do so without themselves becoming ill. The answer was in the use of essential oils in their masks, and gloves and on their skin. Young living makes a combination they claim to be the exact formula used by the thieves and call it Thieves. You don't need to join a MLM company like I did, (although do TERRA and YL both make wonderful oils) to benefit from this wisdom. For example, there is a company in Mississauga that sells wholesale essential oils called New Directions Aromatics.
Whether or not there is truth to this story, the essential oils contained in this blend are often beneficial during the winter months and are commonly used to freshen and purify the air.
This is a classic recipe which can be customized by adjusting the proportions or adding other air-purifying essential oils such as basil, sage, lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, oregano, thyme, sage, ylang ylang, lavender, juniper, hyssop, spruce, orange, or pine or whatever you like the smell of and is available to you.
Homemade Thieves Essential Oil Blend (best if organic and fair trade oils used)
- 40 drops clove bud essential oil
- 35 drops lemon essential oil
- 20 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
Mix all essential oils together in a dark glass bottle.
This blend is very strong and must be diluted for safe use. The essential oil content should only account for 1 to 2% of the total formula. This means that when formulating homemade cleaning products or other creations, 6 to 12 drops of essential oil can be added per ounce of carrier oil or other menstruum
Safety Note: Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids that can be harmful if not used carefully and properly. Use caution and do not use internally. This blend can cause irritation when applied to the skin, even in diluted amounts. Keep all essential oils out of reach of children, and do not use this combination on children or infants. Some pets may find it irritating.
How to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- To freshen the air: Add a few drops of the blend to an essential oil diffuser (consult diffuser's use guide for amount) or a pot of simmering water on the stove. Diffuse for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Make an all-purpose spray for cleaning your home or workplace. Fill a spray bottle with half water and half 91% isopropyl alcohol and add the essential oil blend at a 1 to 2% dilution rate. Spray on countertops, desks, and other surfaces. Make sure to shake well before using.
- For general support or tired feet and muscles: Mix the essential oil blend at a 1 to 2% dilution rate with organic jojoba or olive oil. Massage oil where needed or dab on skin throughout the day (test on a small patch of skin first in case of personal skin sensitivity).
- For nasal and sinus congestion: mix a 1 to 2% dilution of the essential oil blend with organic jojoba or olive oil and rub under the nose or on the chest. Alternatively, bring water to a boil and turn off heat. Place 1 to 2 drops of thieves into hot water and inhale the vapors with a towel over your head to contain the vapors. Be sure to keep your eyes CLOSED – essential oils burn!