Thai Coconut Eggplant Ratatouille Recipe
This recipe is absolutely delicious! It takes time to make it, but it is well worth it.
- Small Japanese or Italian eggplants - 12 ounces, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Coarse salt - 2 teaspoons
- Homemade Chicken Broth - 1 1/2 cups, defatted
- Green beans - 4 ounces, sliced French style on the diagonal
- Green cabbage - 8 ounces, shredded 1/2 inch wide
- Onion - 1 medium, coarsely chopped
- Fresh ginger - 2 tablespoons, peeled, minced
- Garlic - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Fresh lemongrass - 1 tablespoon, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro stems - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Ripe banana - 2 cups, diced (1/4 inch)
- Plum tomatoes - 1 cup, coarsely chopped, seeded
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Fresh cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Rice - 6 cups, hot cooked
- Rice - 1 1/2 cups, raw
- Serving or spiced toasted coconut - 1 1/2 cups
- In a large mixing bowl, toss eggplants in 1 teaspoon salt.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes until the eggplants releases water.
- Rinse and pat dry on paper towels.
- In a large pot, heat chicken broth over medium heat. Add eggplants to the broth and cook for 5 minutes. Add green beans, cabbage, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cilantro stems, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add banana, tomatoes, and coconut milk. Simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and add cilantro leaves.
- In 8 shallow soup bowls, serve equal quantity of rice. Spoon the vegetables on top of the rice. Garnish each serving with cilantro and spiced coconut. Serve immediately.